Welcome to The Baseline, the Palestine Herald-Press sports blog. Here, you'll find breaking news updates, live game updates, thoughts and musings on sports, both local and national, and more.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Dogwood Circle SuperFan Contest

We've found them, the three biggest football fans in the Dogwood Circle. now, it's up to you to tell us which one you think is the area's SuperFan. Check out their submissions below and then vote at the poll the right. Voting will end Friday at 5 p.m., and the winner will be featured in the upcoming Dogwood Circle football special section. Also, they'll earn the right to pick against the pros in the Herald-Press' weekly Fearless Forecasters football pick'em poll.

CHARLES AND BILLE BRIDGES
I nominate a couple, Charles and Billie Bridges as the area’s super fan.  They both attended Elkhart High School and even though they are both in their late 70’s, they rarely miss an athletic event, whether it be a football game, a track meet or a softball game.  Their children and their grandchildren played on a variety of teams for the Elks and now they are religiously following their great-grandchildren play for the Elks. 
-- Alice Spacek

CINDY PENLAND
HAVING FUN!

When asked to write about why I think I am the SuperFan, the word fun comes to my mind, so that word will be a big part of my reason for being the SuperFan.

Football like other sports is all about have FUN.  I love all sports and have since being a young girl.  My Daddy loved sports, so me wanting to do things he loved got me involved at a young age.  Back in those days my FIRST sport to love was baseball.  You see I was only about 10 years old.  We would listen to the games on the radio and I saw what enjoyment and love of sports meant to him. So I was hooked and did we have FUN.  It was just the simplicity of listening to a radio that sometimes was full of static!   This would be the beginning of a lifetime of loving ALL sports.

So to make my plea on why I am the SuperFan that I am today, I must give credit to my Dad.
So lets fast forward to the local football teams.  I was fortunate to be in High School in 1964 when Palestine Wildcats won the State Championship.  I was able to go to all the games thanks to friends.   Since Daddy worked for the Railroad and was gone a lot and missed some of the games.  But he was able to go see the Championship game and I got to go with him.  What a memory for me. And what FUN we had.

I have fun following the 7 local schools that are covered by your excellent Sports Team in our area in football.  Your paper does a great job giving me information about each school, players, and Coaches.  They try their best to keep the public informed on statistics involving every area of the game, for each school.  It enables me to keep up with each school,s Schedule, up and coming players and the outstanding players these local teams are fortunate to have.  I am kept informed with the outstanding Coaches that lead the teams to victory or defeat.  I have often wondered and have had the chance to ask some of the area Coaches this burning question.....Are you having FUN?  The reply was a big YES and the players are having FUN , too.   

Coaching is fun and having fun will bring enthusiasm that can be contagious to a team to have a Winning Season.   But even if you do not have a winning season playing football teaches one leadership, sharing, friendship. discipline that will bond a team to be almost a Family.
Also when considering me as the SuperFan,  I play every week when you have the area football wins and scores.  Also the college and NFL picks to win. 

I get my whole family involved in picking who they think will win or loose . and remember we have to pick the tie- breaker score.   IT IS FUN!!  I go buy extra papers to accommodate my family member that do not subscribe to your paper..That is FUN to me to include anyone that wants to play your game.
I hope everyone that reads this especially the fans and family members that have kids playing football will get out and support their school.   Go to the games and make some Great Memories with your family.    As I still hold dear to me the memories of having FUN with my Daddy.

So Being a SuperFan I wish the best for all the 2011 Football season for the following schools....Palestine Wildcats, Westwood Panthers, Cayuga Wildcats, Elkhart Elk, Frankston Indians, and the Grapeland Sandies, and do not forget the Oakwood Panthers, the only area team that plays 6 man football.

I also must mention I listen to the games on the radio, and I drive my husband crazy  screaming and cheering on  The teams as mentioned above I love so much.......I will be having FUN this season.

MICHAEL VARNADO
This all started when he was 6 years old and his mother bought him a t-shirt that was on sale – that shirt happened to be a Pittsburgh Steelers hooded sweatshirt that he still has to this day.  Since his mother bought it for him he knew it had to be special.

He is a Pittsburgh, Steelers #1 FAN.  He just moved from Los Angeles, CA where he had a custom Steelers garage (photo attached). 

Michael unknowingly moved to a home across the street from Adrian Peterson’s grandmother, but he respectfully continued his tradition of displaying his dedication to his team. (photo of our Christmas lawn display attached)  Instead of the tradition nativity display he honors his team with 8” Steelers Players in a mock red zone playing against Santa.

Michael has a classic 1966 Pontiac GTOSteelers license plate on the front and Steelers magnets one each door. (photo attached, where he just won Best of Show at the 2011 Congo Truck Club car show)
He has a room, garage, & attic full of his collection of Steelers Fan Memorabilia.

On game days he has rituals that have to be adhered to (everyone sitting in the right spot, wearing the right clothes) & if his team should lose, his family has a bad week – all week.  When his last daughter was born, he was not available to hold her during the Steelers games – no interruptions.

Also on game days the entire family has to wear Steelers gear (photo attached) and at every good play the neighbors get to see him run outside and blow his Steelers horn (and maybe some kids running and cheering up and down the street) – and if they do really good, he will light off some fireworks.

 If there has ever been an emergency where he had to miss a game, he records it, turns off ALL phones, & does not go anywhere public until he can get home and watch the game.  Of course he has DirecTV’s NFL package so he does not miss one Steelers game.

He plans household projects, helping family & friends, around the football season.  He is even putting in extra time at church in the off-season….you won’t see him at church on Sundays when his team is playing.

You can see him around town in his Steelers T-shirt, Steelers cap, cell phone case, and Steelers stickers, magnets, &/or flags on his truck.

He just bought tickets today  – he is taking his family of 8 to Houston where the Steelers will play the Texans on October 2, 2011.

Thank you NFL for ending the lock-out!









7 comments:

  1. Why would I be the one to run across this at 6:00am....;lol I must say that Michael is a true Steelers Fan,My family met this Family while watching our kids practice football last season. We all became what I would cal "GOOD FRIENDS". I can remember the first time that we had them over was for a "Big Bonfire" that we were giving and Michael, made sure that as he let us know from the "jump" that he was a FAN of the Steelers...Even though he had just stepped foot, in a "Cowboys and Vikings Home"...lol!!!! Love ya Mike and Nicole
    Netra and Curtis Evans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the grandaughter of Charles and Billie Bridges...these two people are incredible when it comes to supporting Elkhart Athletics! They supported my Dad and their kids in their younger years but what is so impressive is that not only did they support my generation now they STILL support my childrens generation. They go to everything at Elkhart and out of town...they are truly Mr. and Mrs EHS!!!! They are in their 70's and no matter if it is 40 degrees or 100 degrees I can promise you they will be in the Stands....I love you Gran and Papa..Monica They are the center of Elkharts One Heart Beat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of Cindy Penland and knows she loves all sports. Especially local Football.
    I think just because you go to one team. games does not make you the AREA SUPERFAN.
    Cindy is disabled at this time to attend games.But she does the best with the radio and paper and the internet....She follows all of the area teams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to add that Charles & Billie Bridges are truly "super fans" . They not only go to every sporting event at Elkhart but I have seen them at events "everywhere" !! Of course they have a lot of great grand children to watch now, but I can assure you that they have gone to watch many children playing all kind of sports over the years. They support atheletes of all ages in all types of sports. That's what it's all about isn't it? We go to show our support,to show the atheletes that we understand the hard work & dedication it takes to compete in any sport. Wanda Davis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thnk the winner should have been someone who wrote a article about their feeling and what local football said to them in their hearts. Not being nominated by someone else, and not having to put forth any effort to explain why they are the SUPERFAN in local area football that includes 7 area schools....
    I believe that reading Mrs. Penland article says it all. But by reading the articles for the Bridges it has turned into who is the most popular, not the one that really love all area sports. Attendance is not the only qualification.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if you want to show your support for your candidate then you should do so. The comments which appear to campaign against the Bridges' instead of for your candidate are tacky and smell of bitterness. Also, while it shouldn't be a popularity contest, it isn't an essay contest either. Go Bridges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright everyone, let's keep it clean. So far everyone has been polite in the comments here, and I'm all for healthy debate. All three candidates are worthy for their own different reasons, I think everyone realizes that.

    I'd like to thank everyone for their participation, this has gone better than we here at the Herald-Press ever imagined.

    ReplyDelete