Welcome to The Baseline, the Palestine Herald-Press sports blog. Here, you'll find breaking news updates, live game updates, thoughts and musings on sports, both local and national, and more.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Night Previews: Week 9

It's a big, if not huge, night locally for high school football. That being said, before we head into our previews, allow me a chance to vent about my beloved Texas Rangers.

Never in my life have I felt more emotionally drained following a sporting event. Silly? Probably, but real none the less. As I sat on my couch helpless and watched David Freese rounding the bases, I figured that I'd just lived through the worst sporting event experience in my life, and perhaps in the life I haven't even lived yet.

Now, this all sounds rather extreme, I know, but that's what fandom is about, right? It's about investing yourself emotionally in a group of people you've never met and probably never will meet. That's at least part, if not all, of the fun.

Now the team gets a chance on the biggest of stages, Game 7. They don't come any bigger. As a fan who can look at things as subjectively as I want, I want to say I think they can pull it out, think they can rebound. As a sportswriter whose job it is to be object, I'm not that sure.

I don't know if teams get many more opportunities than the Rangers got last night, but as a fan, I hope they have one more in them. If they can't pull it out...well I just don't know.

On to the football.

Madisonville (3-5, 2-1) at PALESTINE (5-3, 2-1)
This is as big of a game as you'll get at this point in the season that doesn't include two teams ranked in someone's top-10. Both Palestine and Madisonville can clinch a playoff spot with a win tonight. The loser, on the other hand, will be forced into an almost win-or-go-home situation in Game No. 10. The whole scenario benefits Palestine, because they've got Westwood next week while Madisonville takes on Fairfield. no disrespect intended toward the Panthers, but the Eagles they are not. That puts all the pressure, I would think, on the visiting Mustangs. A team under pressure tends to press at times like these.
My Pick: Palestine 48, Madisonville 31

WESTWOOD (2-6, 0-3) at Mexia (1-7, 1-2)
Mexia is the team with only one win all season, but the Blackcats are still the team with everything to lose in this matchup. By beating Madisonville last week, they now control their own playoff destiny. If they win out, they'd be in. Westwood, I'm sure, was expecting a winless team with nothing left to play for. On the other hand, the Panthers are all but out of the playoff race but still would like to end what is now a nine-game district losing streak. On the road in Mexia is a tough place to play.
My Pick: Westwood 54, Mexia 49

Malakoff (7-1, 3-0) at ELKHART (3-5, 0-3)
Needless to say, this was not how things were supposed to go for the Elks this season, especially not after the team opened the year 3-1. But, it's been a steady drop since then, due in large part to the Elks steady stream of drops (fumbles). In their three district games, Elkhart has turned the ball over 16 times. That's no way to win games. Another way to not win games is play teams that are merely better than  you, which appears to be the case tonight.
My Pick: Malakoff 49, Elkhart 21

FRANKSTON (2-6, 1-2) at Union Grove (3-5, 1-2)
This game is a lot like the game between Madisonville and Palestine with one caveat, this one's more important, because the loser of this one is probably done. Both the Indians and Union Grove need to win out to make the playoffs, and that starts tonight near Gladewater. All eyes will be on the Frankston defense, which hasn't been able to stop many teams so far this season. As far as the offense, well that's not an issue at all.
My Pick: Frankston 56, Union Grove 31

Cushing (2-6, 1-2) at GRAPELAND (3-5, 2-1)
The Sandies can punch their return ticket to the postseason with a win tonight when the welcome in Cushing, and spirits are more likely than not high in Grapeland. Cushing comes in struggling, with its only district win over winless Timpson. If Grapeland can maintain the balance its shown since the return of the QB Cameron Boyd from injury, expect an 11th game for the Sandies in 2011.
My Pick: Grapeland 31, Cushing 14

Dallas Academy (7-1) at OAKWOOD (8-0)
The Panthers get a break from district play tonight from not from tough competition as they welcome in a one-loss Dallas Academy team. With district rival Leverett's Chapel looming next week, any chance of a letdown in Oakwood? Don't count on it, with the alumni coming back for homecoming and the Panthers penchant for playing well under coach Mike Heckathorn on homecoming night.
My Pick: Oakwood 68, Dallas Academy 22

No comments:

Post a Comment